Osaka, Cilic, Serena; Big names fall early in Miami
We are halfway through one of the biggest tournaments of the year, the Miami Open. An ATP Masters 1000 and WTA Premier Mandatory, it is bettered only by the Grand Slams and Tour Finals in regards to prize money, ranking points and stature.
With draws of 96 players, it is a highly contested event, with 32 of those players seeded. Being such a prestigious tournament, along with the fact that the next major is nearly 2 months away in Paris, the entry list is always full of the elite players. Players such as Radu Albot, Félix Auger-Aliassime and Reilly Opelka, all players in the ATP Top 60, had to go through qualifying before making it to the main draw.
Being such a competitive tournament, it is not surprising some of the top players fall in the early rounds, and this year is no exception. On the womens side of the draw, only 4 player in the top 10 seeds has made it to the 4th round, whilst on the mens side, half of the top 10 seeds failed to make it past even the 2nd round. Between both draws, that makes only 9 of the 20 top 10 seeds still in the tournament.
Here is a list of the top 10 seeded players who have been knocked out.
- Seed #2 – Alexander Zverev – def. in 2nd Rnd
- Seed #3 – Dominic Thiem – def. in 2nd Rnd
- Seed #6 – Kei Nishikori – def. in 2nd Rnd
- Seed #9 – Marin Cilic – def. in 2nd Rnd
- Seed #10 – Karen Khachanov – def. in 2nd Rnd
- Seed #1 – Naomi Osaka – def. in 3rd Rnd
- Seed #4 – Sloane Stephens – def. in 3rd Rnd
- Seed #6 – Elina Svitolina – def. in 2nd Rnd
- Seed #8 – Angelique Kerbe – def. in 3rd Rnd
- Seed #9 – Aryna Sabalenka – def. in 2nd Rnd
- Seed #10 – Serena Williams – withdrew in 3rd Rnd