Murray on the comeback trail
Andy Murray returned to a tennis court on Monday – two months after undergoing hip resurfacing surgery.
Murray, who has not played competitively since his first round exit at the Australian Open in January, said last month he could possibly play at Wimbledon as he was now pain free after the surgery.
The 31-year-old posted a short video on Instagram, where he was seen hitting the ball in an outdoor court while rallying with a wall with a caption, “It’s a start.”
Murray had said he was not sure he could play in the singles draw at Wimbledon, a tournament he has won twice, but targeted a possible return in doubles at this year’s tournament as it put less stress on his hip.
The three-times Grand Slam champion compared his situation to that of American doubles player Bob Bryan who returned to the court 5-1/2 months after a similar procedure.
Murray could become the first professional player to return to the game having had a metal hip socket fitted.
hip allows me to do that without pain and I can still enjoy it then I’d like to try. But if I can’t, then I can’t, and I’ll be happy I’m not in pain every day.”
Murray admitted he would only attempt to play at Wimbledon if he felt he could be competitive and he wouldn’t damage his body even more.
Wimbledon begins on July 1 this year and Murray will hope to play a warm-up event – possibly at Queen’s Club or Eastbourne – before he takes on SW19.
He recently said: “I would hate to go on the court at Wimbledon and for something bad to happen or to feel really bad and apprehensive and for it to go really badly.
“If my hip allows me to do that without pain and I can still enjoy it then I’d like to try. But if I can’t, then I can’t, and I’ll be happy I’m not in pain every day.”
Written by Peter Rowe for Grandslamtennis.online. To read more visit grandslamtennis.online