Confident Murray hints at singles return
Andy Murray has opened the door a little wider for a possible return to singles, with the Scot dropping a big hint prior to the start of the Montreal Masters.
“Playing Cincinnati depends on how well it goes this week in doubles,” the 32-year-old said after several days of intense training for his doubles start here with Feliciano Lopez.
“I might potentially play next week.”
The first-time Murray-Lopez pairing won the Queen’s title in June as Murray prepared his return to tennis after January’s hip resurfacing.
“It’s all about how I’m feeling, how my body reacts.
“So far, it’s been dealing well with loads of doubles (he and brother Jamie played this week in Washington).
“I played two hours a few days ago and felt fine the next day. I’ve also been doing singles training, 90 minutes recently.
“I played points and felt pretty good … but I’m taking each day as it comes.”
The three-time Grand Slam champion said that he would not wish to start a serious singles comeback under the intense best-of-five-set conditions at the US Open, though he is lined up for doubles at the major.
“I played an hour, 40 minutes today, then played a set of singles – I’ve been feeling better each week.”
After recovering from two surgeries and rehabbing for much of the past two seasons, Murray is not pushing himself too hard, too fast.
“I’m not in any rush to start singles again, training is going well and I’m talking with the team about strategy.
“I’m going at a good pace, I don’t want to take it too fast but at a good pace; I don’t want to go so slow that it gets frustrating.
“By playing doubles I have the chance to train with top players at events. I get to see where my game is at.
“So far, things are going smoothly.”
He added: “Singles is not so far away, it’s not like three months. But I just cannot commit too far ahead.
“Everything needs to be gradual progression, you need to gradually expose your body to a certain level of load – when I feel I’m ready, I’ll go for it.”
Kevin Anderson has been forced to withdraw injured from the Montreal Masters which begins on Monday.
The No. 11 South African reached the semi-finals in Toronto a year ago but has been hampered this season by injuries, including his latest – a knee,
He had competed in the pre-US Open Canadian event for nine consecutive editions.
Anderson was also forced to withdraw from this week’s event in Washington due to his injury. The former number five has competed in just five tournaments this season.
Written by Bill Scott for Grandslamtennis.online. To read more visit grandslamtennis.online